Sunday 16 June 2013

1: Time Will Tell - MrFlash365

Saturday, 12.38pm

Judy was already in the café when Derek arrived. Her coffee was steaming in front of her and she was just adding sugar.
             “Hello, baby,” he said, as he walked up to her table. “Sorry I’m late.”
             She looked up at him, confused.
             “I think you must have the wrong person,” she said. “I don’t know you.”
             Derek stared at her for a beat and then slapped his hand against his thigh. “Damn, sorry.” He turned and walked away. “I’ll be back in a minute,” he called over his shoulder.


Saturday, 12.38pm

Judy was already in the café when Derek arrived. Her coffee was steaming in front of her and she was just adding sugar.
             “Hello, baby,” he said, as he walked up to her table. “Sorry I’m late.”
             She looked up at him and gave a vague smile.
             “Hi, there,” she said, then paused. “Derek, isn’t it?”
             “Yes.” He put his hand on the chair opposite as though to pull it out and sit down, but stopped when a puzzled look crossed her face.
“We met at Julie’s, didn’t we? A few years ago? We got on quite well, I think. You were going to call me.”
             “And I didn’t?” Derek asked. He slapped his hand against his thigh. “Damn, sorry.” He turned and walked away. “I’ll be back in a minute,” he called over his shoulder.


Saturday, 12.38pm

Judy was already in the café when Derek arrived. Her coffee was steaming in front of her and she was just adding sugar. Another coffee sat on the other side of the table.
             “Hello, baby,” he said, as he walked up. “Sorry I’m late.”
             She looked up at him and broke into a broad smile.
             “Don’t worry, honey,” she said. “I’ve only just been served.” She pointed to the cup opposite as Derek pulled out the chair and sat down. “It’s still hot.”
             “Great,” he took a sip and winced at the heat. “Thank you.”
             She stirred her coffee and smiled at him.
             “So, I was wondering,” he said. “Do you think it’s time we took it to the next level.”
             She frowned. “The next level?”
             “Well, yes. I was wondering if it’s time we moved in together. It would save all this travelling.”
             “But, Derek,” she said, her frown deepening, “we’ve only been on a few dates, and I know so little about you. I think we should wait a bit longer.”
             He nodded, staring down at his coffee, then stood up and walked away.
             “Where are you going?” she asked.
             “I’ll be back in a minute,” he called over his shoulder.


Saturday, 12.38pm

Judy was already in the café when Derek arrived. Her coffee was steaming in front of her and she was just adding sugar. Another coffee sat on the other side of the table.
             “Hello, baby,” he said, as he walked up. “Sorry I’m late.”
             She looked up at him and then back down at her coffee.
             He pulled out the chair opposite and sat down. She said nothing.
             “Something wrong?” he asked.
             She shrugged and then went still. He waited. She looked up and fixed him with eyes that were brimming with tears.
             “It’s just that it’s typical, isn’t it? I mean, you’re always late. I’m always the second choice for you, behind whatever else it is you have to do.”
             “Well, that’s why I was thinking. We could move in together. Save all this travelling.”
             She stared at him and he could see her thinking it over. She shook her head and looked back down at her coffee.
             “I don’t think so, Derek. It’s just not going to work out. We’ve spent so much time together, but it’s like you don’t really want to get to know me. You don’t want to work at this. You just expect it to be perfect with no effort.”
             She reached for her handbag and stood up. She pulled her coat from the back of the chair and slung it over her arm.
             As she passed him she bent and gave his cheek a kiss. “I do like you, Derek, but it’s like you’re never really here. You can come and get your things from my flat later, if you like.”
             Derek sat and stared into his own coffee as she walked out.


Saturday, 12.36pm

Derek was already sitting at a table, sipping at hot coffee, when Judy approached with her own drink.
             “I’m sorry to bother you,” she said. “But the place is heaving and this seems to be the only free seat. Is it okay if I sit here.”
             He smiled and nodded. “Of course.”
             He waited until she had sat down and then extended his hand. “Hi, I’m Derek,” he said.
             “Judy,” she replied and reached for the sugar.
             There was silence while she stirred and then she looked back up at him. “So, if it’s not too much of a cocktail party question,” she said, “what do you do?”
             “I’m a time traveller,” he said and she laughed.
             “Really? What are the hours like?”


No comments:

Post a Comment